Monday, March 15, 2010

How I spent my winter downtime....

Besides trying to heal from my aforementioned broken leg, I've been finally working on my very own Harley-Davidson! I've spent well over a year, so far, accumulating parts and knowledge and I'm hoping the damn thing will function when it's all said and done.

Here's some photos of the "FrankenHarley" (hopefully!) Of course, they come up out of order! lol

A bit of mockup with the tanks and fender
The tank art. Done by ME!

After I got the rolling chassis out of the truck. No, I'm not putting the front fender back on!

Strappin' her down!

Went to Omaha, NE in a damn blizzard to get this thing! lol

I'm a cheap bastard, so the paint was "rattle-can". Gloss black Rustoleum, metallic cobalt blue Rustoleum, and actual airbrush paint I got from an awesome art professor at Dakota State University.

Now, with the broken limb, I was unable to get in the shop for basically the entire winter, so I used that time to order parts from a couple catalogs and more ebay stuff. Finally, last month, I got my pistons for my motor, another awesome ebay find!

Here are a couple more mock up pics....

The paintjob on the fender. Wanna replace the cool old fender trim that was on there.

Cheap-ass somewhat ugly exhaust pipes. Only till I can afford the ones I really want!

And FINALLY I've been able to work on the bike, lately! I could have the whole motor all buttoned up nice, but my progress has been brought to a screeching halt because of a small pushrod cover spring missing! These next pics are my progress to date...

Top shot of the motor with the carb on!


Starting to look like a bike again!

Still have quite a bit to do, yet on this one. But I think it's comin' along nicely. Here's why the bike is called the "FrankenHarley"...
1967 FL rolling chassis
1994 S&S Shovelhead cases (bottom end)
1984 80 ci Shovelhead top end (heads and cylinders)
1983 HD 4-speed "Superglide" transmission w/kicker
19?? Inner primary guts and chrome Primary case of unknown vintage.

Oh! and I made the backrest, which I'll get a photo of when the bike gets closer to done-ish. I do so enjoy hand fabrication work! Really, I do!

That's pretty much it for this installment! Hopefully somebody reads this shit! lol


No comments: